Friday, September 28, 2007

Day 18 - MRI Review

Well, the MRI yesterday actually went really well.

It is a sort of surreal experience. First they take you to a changing/waiting room where you put on a hospital gown and de-jewel yourself... I felt rather stripped of my identity. And of course, I didn't have my watch on, very surreal, losing time.

I got called into the room rather quickly. The lady showed me the machine, had me take off my glasses and lay down. She gave me earplugs (thank goodness!! I didn't realize how loud the machine would be, but the hypersensitive ear could never have stood it.) and suggested that I close my eyes. I told her I couldn't, so she got me a cloth to put over my eyes and I tried to keep the right shut as best as possible. She tucked my arms and legs in with a sheet, put a panic button in my left hand, and in I went.

It is a strange sensation, being moved around when you can't see or hear and when there isn't really anything to feel. You are totally desensitized. Then she came over the speaker and told me about the next sequence. She always came on and told me how long the next sequence would take. Then the sound started. You know, for a really sophisticated piece of machinery, an MRI makes some really weird noises! At first, I paniced a bit, but tried to focus on long deep breaths and the sounds themselves - finding a rhythm in them. Soon I was so relaxed I think I may have fallen asleep. A few times I got a false sensation, like I was falling sideways, which of course I wasn't!

Halfway though they pulled me out to give me a shot. They emphasized that I was to be really still. They only pulled my right arm out. I could hear them talking, but I didn't really care about what was going on. The injection hurt and my right eye flew open. I wasn't supposed to move so I couldn't reach up and close it, so the last half of the MRI was less pleasant with my eye open and staring at a white towel.

Sooner rather than later, the whole thing was over. They pulled me out and told me I was free to go. Of course, I have no idea what they saw in my head.

2 comments:

Natural Herbs Clinic said...

Castor oil is extremely helpful in the Bell’s Palsy Natural Treatment. It lessens swelling and recuperates the harmed nerve. It fortifies the facial muscles and builds their flexibility. Warm some castor oil in a skillet. Drench a meager cotton fabric into the oil and apply it to the face. Spread the pack with wool to trap the warmth.

Paris said...

I know you posted this 9 years ago, but your blog has been really helpful in following your symptoms, progression, and pain! I was in a lot of pain the second half of the first week and the second and third weeks. It seems to be getting better now. It's reassuring to know I wasn't alone.

Thank you for recounting your experience with the MRI! My doctor started me out with a CT scan and said I'd have an MRI depending on the results. Im slightly terrified of the prospect, as I have an irrational, very strong fear of being in places I can't escape (it's not the size, but the inescapability. I'd be just as scared if I were locked in an apartment with no means of escape or communication)-- but your review was really helpful in knowing what to expect if I have to have one.

Thanks again :)